I provide a comprehensive consultation service for those families adopting
domestically. The service begins from the beginning of the relationship
with the birth mother.
- Confirmation of pregnancy by Beta HCG testing.
- Pre-natal records from the Obstetrician/Midwife are reviewed after
each pre-natal visit.
- Tests suggested for mother: HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, syphilis,
Toxoplasmosis, Herpes simplex, Cytomegalovirus, Parvovirus, Rubella.
- HIV, syphilis, and Hepatitis B, C testing should be performed a second
time close to the end of the pregnancy.
- Maternal and paternal questionnaires that include a review of systems
to explore family diseases:
- High blood pressure
- Coronary artery disease
- Mental illness including depression and schizophrenia
- Learning disabilities
- Attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity
- Vision impairment
- Hearing impairment
- Migraine headaches
- Ulcer disease
- Cancer including breast, ovary, colon
- Alcoholism and drug/substance abuse
ADOPTION & PRENATAL ALCOHOL AND DRUG EXPOSURE:
Research, Policy, and Practice
Edited by Richard P. Barth, Madelyn Freundlich, and David Brodzinsky
Child Welfare League of America
The Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute 2000