Services :: Assessment of Child's Medical History
Preparation for an international adoption starts about one year before
the child actually arrives in the United States. I am able to provide
medical guidance concerning the child once the parents receive the medical
abstract from their adoption agency.
- Medical abstract studied and evaluated. I review abstracts from all
over the world, including: Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Bulgaria, Romania,
Hungary, China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Guatemala, Ecuador,
- Medical abstract which may include medical diagnoses is explained
in layman terms.
- Growth parameters are placed on a growth curve to assess height, weight,
head circumference as compared to a general population of children of
the same age.
- Developmental milestones are discussed so parents can understand the
expectations for their particular child. Parents can then more comfortably
make decisions regarding their prospective adoption.
- Photographs are examined and evaluated for facial dysmorphism and
other abnormal physical characteristics consistent with fetal alcohol
- Videos when available are viewed and studied for abnormal physical
characteristics and developmental / behavioral level.
- A phone consultation with patient to summarize the findings of the
medical abstract, video, and photographs.
E-mail/FAX/phone contact with physicians/agencies/representatives from
countries of origin may be available for clarifying medical diagnoses
and past medical history.
Select one of the following links for more detailed information:
introduction to the pre-adoption review
for interpreting pre-adoption medicals
template for a russian 2-trip referral or ukranian 1-trip process
how to take photos for evaluation of FAS
New CDC Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorders (FASD) Website
Fee Schedule available
My office manager will work with you to help you receive the fullest
possible reimbursement from your health insurance company, but payment
in full is required at the time of service.
International Pediatric Health Services, PLLC
Dr. Jane Aronson, FAAP
128 Maplewood Avenue
Maplewood, NJ 07040
Please be prepared to leave a complete phone number and hotel room
number when calling from abroad.